Sunday, March 6, 2011

Saving Grace

Posted a few days back about the delay in training due to patellar tendonitis in my right knee. Unfortunately things have been very slow going, with little to no training taking place. I visited the doctor on Friday and was given some good news: my patellar tendonitis appeared to be cleared up. However, as a result of the absence of running and cycling over the course of the PT injury the tendons and muscles in my knee were now at war with each other as a result of not being used. Some of the small stability tendons in my knee were now being pulled and stressed as a result of tight quad muscles.

Good news: PT is all but gone. Bad news: new tendon "pain" has developed.

The doc did say that I should start easing back into my daily routine in the hopes of stretching everything out and getting my knees back to normal. Easier said than done. I went to the gym for a short jog on the treadmill and made it to mile 1.5 before the dull pain was back. Did a bit of spinning but still nothing compared to what I used to be able to crank out pre-injury.


Alright so that is the backstory, now for the really good news. At the end of my rope and willing to try anything I picked up some KT tape yesterday in the hopes of stabilizing the tracking pattern of my patella. Put it on last night and since then, knock on wood, have been pain free! Went to the gym today and put in a solid hour long spin without feeling a thing. Was even able to put in 2 miles on the treadmill without a problem. Fingers crossed that this is the beginning of the end, but either way, as of the moment KT tape has become my saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment