Thursday, September 15, 2011

RATS 40K TT Championship Race Report

Remember how I said that I probably could have pushed harder on the bike at Nationals? This is what I was talking about ...

Less than three days after Nationals I raced in the Rochester Area 40K Time Trial Championships hosted by the Rochester Area Triathletes (RATS). All the local triathletes, cyclists, and endurance sport yahoos in the Rochester area made their way out to test their legs on a relatively flat out and back course that offered a few rolling hills. Competitors left in a time trial format, spaced every thirty seconds. Being a super competitive individual I elected to be one of the last to go to see how many people I could catch over the 40K.

When it was my turn to go and I left the start line I got after it. I was soon at 26+ mph and my heart was racing at a millions beats per minute. My immediate thought was that there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to sustain this effort over the next few seconds let alone over the next hour. But soon the seconds turned to minutes and I settled into a very comfortable turnover, my heart rate leveled, and my speed maintained. I continued to down the road and before I knew it I was at the turn around and still feeling great.

With about 4 miles to go my legs still felt good so I put the hammer down and gave it everything I had left in the tank. Crossed the line in a final time of 00:57:28 and an average speed of 25.95mph. Time was good enough for the overall win and a 30 second margin of victory. Strong showing considering I had raced Nationals just 3 days before.

No comments:

Post a Comment