Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vermont City Marathon - Family Fun

Traveled to Vermont over the Memorial Day weekend to run a portion of the Vermont City Marathon on one of two relays put together by my girlfriend Meghan's family. Ran two back-to-back segments of the relay covering a total of 12.8 miles.

The day started out rainy and I was concerned that the weather would continue, but by the time it was my turn to run the sun was starting to break and the temperature was rising rapidly. The relay was broken down into 5 legs and I had the 3rd and 4th; Meghan had the 5th on our second relay so I was able to hang out with her for a bit before she had to run which was nice.

I received the handoff from Meghan's Uncle Dave, and at that point we were running a great pace and situated well in the middle of the main pack. My legs were feeling great so I immediately pushed the pace, running the first mile in 5:10min thanks to the excitement in the air of running through the cheering downtown crowds. As we made our way out of town I was still feeling great, I settled into a solid 5:45-5:50min/mile pace and continued to pound the pavement. I think I managed to pass 200-300 people in the first 4 miles. As the miles ticked by my legs continued to feel great thanks to the e21 Recovery capsules I had with me, conveniently stashed in an empty Mentos container.

Halfway through my leg, around mile 6 (for me), I came upon the infamous Battery Hill, it might as well not have been there as I flew up it passing even more runners. I was feeling great. The feeling continued through the end of my leg and I entered the last transition zone in a final time of 01:14:49, a solid 5:49min/mile pace.

Our last runner finished out the last 5.5miles in solid form and we crossed the line in 03:10:01 to take 3rd in the family relay category! A great race day with family and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment