Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Gizmos and Gadgets

As an engineer I love gadgets, which is why I am slightly puzzled by why it has taken my so long to invest in a heart rate monitor. But none the less I just received my new Polar RS300X G1 heart rate monitor with GPS. Its nice to have data feedback from workouts, but I am quickly discovering that I am not built like everyone else.

I have already done two cycling and one running max heart rate threshold tests and have been unable to get my HR to break 165BPM. As long as I can remember I have struggled to get my HR elevated; my body just seems to be able to run at a lower HR. Stronger heart maybe?. As a swimmer I was never able to break ~160BPM but I never though much of it. Now as I try to establish my training zones things are becoming increasingly difficult. With a lower max HR my zones become very, very narrow, which will make things interesting for training. Considering trying to find someone at the University of Rochester Medical Center to give me a full blown stress-test, maybe that will help answer some questions.

In other news my new Garmin Edge 305 is on its way. Yeay for even more new toys!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! A stress test would be quite useful for you! Narrow zones are not impossible to work within though. I've been very strict HR training lately and I do believe it is the way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete